Saturday 27 July 2013

It's Time to be Poetic

Hey Blogging World

I know that I told you about the creative writing that we were going to be beginning in English and we actually started on a poem. We read two poems about 'Father and Child' and then were asked to write our own poem about father and child. I am pretty happy with it and so I thought I would share it with you wonderful, non-criticising people!

Please note: The poem you are about to read is not about my dad. We have a very good relationship and all but I didn't particularly want to write a poem about him and I. Some events are based on experiences I can relate to, but the poem in general is not personal. Just thought I would tell you that before you all start feeling sorry for me.

Father and Child
The Precious Moments

He sits quietly on the pews
A world away from everyone else.
The minister rambles on,
“A man’s life greatly lived.”
He smirks at the comment.

The sniffles of noses fill the church.
Tears hit the icy marble floor.
But his eyes remain still.
Fixed on a different moment.
Reminiscing of the time spent.

The day his father taught him football.
He kicked it so high and all that little boy did was stare.
Stare in amazement and wonder at a man so strong.
Each day that little boy kicked further and higher.
And every day his father praised his tiny feat.

His mind floats back to the present.
The emptiness of the church is filled by grief
Of family and friends who’s cries are ever so haunting.
He whisks himself away from the melancholy
Travelling to a place of jubilant memories.

His first day of high school.
His father, with a tear in his eye.
That little boy growing up.
Time ticking away, venturing out into the world.
His father, slowly drifting out of mindset.

One day, an unwilling victim.
A man seeing no risk of a traffic light.
A fatal crash.
A disaster turning his life upside down.
His father.

So there he sat in the pews
A world away from everyone.
Educing every recollection of his father
Every precious moment spent with a prodigious man.

A man whom he called his father.

La Vie Vivante

No comments:

Post a Comment